Tuesday 14 June 2016

Project 60 - Number 23



Choux pastry.

If I wanted to by funny I could just bake another forty things that I've never baked before but although that would get me nearer to sixty a bit faster than I am currently going, it wouldn't really be in the spirit of the whole project. There were however a few baking things that I wanted to try hence the jam and marmalade and muffins and ice cream - and now choux buns. And two more coming down the track.
 
I have to say that I'm a tad disappointed with the appearance of these as they did not puff up but stayed fairly flat. I put this down to the mixture being a bit too wet, and I put that down to the fact that the OH always insists on buying large eggs and most of my recipe books use medium ones. It's not usually a problem but obviously choux pastry is less forgiving than creamed cake mixture.
 
That said they smelt and felt and tasted like proper choux buns so from every point of view bar the visual (ha! did you see what I did there?) they were a success.
 
So will I make choux pastry again? Well, not next week, but one of these days I might buy myself some medium sized eggs and have a go at chocolate eclairs.

2 comments:

  1. I'd choux-ze some of these with Fluffy Coffee any time

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so thrilled the first time I made choux buns, and they worked - I felt like the cleverest cook in the world 😄😄😄

    ReplyDelete