Sunday 27 March 2016

Project 60 Pre-Empted

So while we were in Australia there were a few things that would have been ideal candidates for Project 60.

There was Paddling in the Pacific

 
 
 
There was riding a camel
 



and there was a helicopter trip

 
The only problem with all these things being that I have done them all before and therefore they don't count.
 
I thought that paddling in the Pacific was a sure thing, until I remembered that many many years ago on my first trip to Oz the friends I was staying with took me to the beach one day and not only did I paddle, I swam in the Pacific. Well, not so much swimming,  it was more a case of walking out to shoulder depth, waiting for a wave and launching yourself on top of it as best you could, then bobbing about  until you got back to the beach.
 
Did my first camel ride in Tunisia, possibly in 1996,  and although I sort of enjoyed it, and it was amazing to be in the Sahara, even if not very far into it, I thought I would have enjoyed it more had I known before I started that I wasn't going to fall off. Also I'd rather not have developed a bruise the size of a dinner plate on my right inner thigh over the following three days, due to the wooden saddle the thing was wearing. This time it was very different; proper soft saddle i.e. not a cobbled together wooden frame, and because I'd done it before I was fairly convinced the animal wasn't going to take it into its head to run away.
 
I've been lucky enough to have two previous helicopter rides, one in New York when I was very much younger, and one a few years ago when we were in Oporto. I could have done one to a glacier in New Zealand a few years ago but it meant telling the tour supervisor my weight which I wasn't prepared to do. The OH had to do that one on his own. This time I didn't want to miss out so I gritted my teeth and wrote down my weight in the appropriate box on the form.
 
So three exciting things that I can't count. I suppose what I should do is simply rejoice that this means three more empty slots on the Project 60 page!
 
More on the trip to Oz coming soon.

1 comment:

  1. I've never fancied a camel ride, but I wouldn't mind trying the other two. Perhaps when I've lost more weight!! H xx

    ReplyDelete