Monday 28 December 2015

It's Not Just Knitting You Know...


I've tried various crafts in my time, and I was a serious cross stitcher back in the day before my eyes, or at least my right eye, betrayed me. And I still do the occasional bit of stitching. I have mountains of card making supplies too, although I haven't made a card in goodness knows how many years. And then there were these.....


 
In a way they remind me of painting classes at school. Because in the infants I could always see in my mind what my picture was going to look like. However as I cannot draw, not no-how, the picture my hands produced was always sadly inferior to the picture in my head.
 
It was the same with these. A friend linked on Facebook to some really lovely decorations made with twigs and ribbon, with the ribbon just tied around the twigs carelessly in bows and knots. They looked great.
 
Flushed with enthusiasm, and mindful of all the low scrubby trees that inhabit TWTWCTG I said to the OH, I need some twigs. Obviously the expected response to this was, 'I will go out at the weekend and cut you some willow darling'. The response I got was 'How many? How long? What width do you want them'. 'Just twigs' I said ' for decorating'. But that wasn't enough information evidently and no twigs were forthcoming.
 
But then I had a brain wave. I took the used reeds from an empty reed infuser and searched out all my Christmass-y coloured ribbon. I set to work, but sadly soon realised that my carelessly tied knots were not nearly as attractive as the carelessly tied knots on the Facebook link. It wasn't long before I was reminded of how rubbish I am at making bows as well. After several false starts I was reduced to cross winding two lots of ribbon round some old reeds and leaving it at that.
 
Like I said, infant school painting all over again. I did however pop these on the tree. And to be honest, they looked OK. OK enough for me to pack them away and use them again next year anyway.

1 comment: