Saturday 28 February 2015

Well, We Won't Make That Mistake Again



So a week ago when we did our shopping we picked up a packet of Hot Cross Buns.

Yes, I know it's not that long after Christmas and Yes, I know we've just had St Valentine's Day and Yes I do know they should traditionally only be eaten on Good Friday and Yes I can moan with the best of you about how we expect to have seasonal fruit and veg in our supermarkets all the time regardless and the country is gong to the dogs because you can get Cadbury's Cream Eggs all year round nowadays, and people sell Christmas things as soon as they have cleared the shelves of the Back to Skool stuff in September.....So yes I can be a cantankerous old biddy (well not old obviously, ahem!),  but on the other hand we like Hot Cross Buns and there weren't any lemon and raisin pancakes visible, which was what we'd been looking for because I'd got just a bit bored with toast and marmalade for breakfast and fancied a change for a few days....so we got some hot cross buns instead. Come shoot us.
 
Actually don't shoot us because we got our come-uppance anyway. There we were looking forward to our breakfast treat; hot tea with our lovely  hot cross buns slathered in butter and we bit into them and - euch! I mean, really, euch! I even spat bits of mine out. They were disgusting.  To us, I hasten to add. People with other taste buds might find them delicious.
 
It was a while before I discovered why we found them so obnoxious and discovering why involved reading the label on the packet, a small thing which we had signally failed to do in the supermarket. 'Oh look, Hot Cross Buns, Tesco's finest, sling 'em in the trolley' was as much consideration as we gave to the purchase.
 
Which is how we were unaware that what we were about to put into our mouths were Toffee Fudge and Belgian Chocolate Hot Cross Buns.
 
Words do literally fail me at this point, overwhelmed as I am by the concept of chocolate chunks and fudgy bits polluting  my breakfast bakery. But be that as it may, we won't make that mistake again.

1 comment:

  1. Eww! That's just ... Sacrilegious! Wrong in so many ways. You have sympathy. (Apologies if this posts twice - it looked like the first post got lost.)

    ReplyDelete