Tuesday 25 November 2014

Wrapping up Greece. Part 1

I can't help feeling that since I've posted half my Christmas cards, albeit they are going out a tad early this year, it's more than time I finished the tale of our trip to Greece. Especially since it is taking longer to write it up than it took to experience.
 
Nafplion was our last port of call really; after three nights there we were back on the bus and heading back to Athens. We did this by way of the Corinth Canal; not that we travelled through it on a boat you understand, just drove over it on a bridge. And then walked back over it on foot, then returned on foot on the other side, all the time tangling with visitors from the Far East all determined to take pictures of themselves with the canal in the background, and never mind how long they blocked the very narrow pathway for everyone else.
 
The tour guide had given the canal a big build up, so it came as rather an anti-climax to me as I had been expecting something much longer. When you stand on the bridge you can actually see the sea at both ends of the canal simultaneously which wasn't what I was expecting, but I'm sure that it is still a huge feat of modern marine engineering. Or something.
 
Pictures? Well yes I do.....
 
 
oh look, in this direction you can see the sea!

 
and look, the other way you can see the sea too!

 
this is some weird European habit this year apparently. Young couples putting padlocks on bridges. It's a sign that they are locked together forever by their love. Colour me cynical but I wonder how many of them are still together now that summer's over?  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment