Monday 17 March 2014

Three Hundred Plus.


300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE Fan Event – 13 Minutes Of Footage

I've mentioned the film 300 a few times on this blog. It's a film I have a soft spot for,  for several reasons

1      Everyone in the family enjoyed it. This is a rare thing.

2      It is known in this house as Tre Hundra, from an incident that took place in a Norwegian lesson.         It's been Tre Hundra, rather than Three Hundred for us ever since.

3      It featured David Wenham in a fairly major role. I may have mentioned my admiration for Mr   Wenham's acting abilities here too. On the odd occasion.

4      It was beautifully directed. So stylised, so greek urn, so original graphic novel. Loved it.

So when I heard they were making a sequel I was quite excited. And when we realised it was on in Sheffield when we were down there for the funeral and we had a spare evening with all the four of us there it seemed like a good idea to go.
 
In the event it wasn't a total success. This was partly because of the price of the tickets. I know we get out of touch here in Orkney with the price of things south but more than £10 a ticket? Really? How do they justify that?
 
It was mostly to do with the film though. Derivative, badly acted, thoughtlessly scripted and not nearly as well directed as the original. It was also a bit of a gore fest although I didn't mind that so much. After 300 I was expecting that there would be gore.
 
I have to say that the women generally acted better than the men although there were only two of them really; Lena Headey and Eva Green. Headey was OK, although I thought she channelled Cersei from A Game of Thrones a bit too much. Green  acted up a storm, and was gorgeous into the bargain.
 
On the upside it was a bit of an historical  romp, and when you're in an unhappy situation, which we were, historical romps can have a lot going for them.
 
Overall recommendation - rather than pay,  wait for it to hit the telly screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment