Monday 16 September 2013

What I Did (Finished) in August


I actually managed to do the Literary KAL in August  which was amazing because I haven't made that for a couple of months. This month's author(s) were The Brontes and I made this
 

The pattern is one I've had in my queue for a while and it suited this KAL because it's based on a shawl worn by the eponymous character (I'm sorry, I can't say heroine in this instance) in the latest film version of Jane Eyre. I loathe Charlotte Bronte's work*, and what I know of her as a person I dislike heartily; on the upside, I had the yarn and it's lovely and warm and squooshie and a good colour on me, and someone had just sent me that beautiful shawl pin so obviously (ha!) I needed to knit a shawl to use it in.

Next up the grandson's Faroe Isles jumper



I hope you can see why I had to knit it, despite the stripe issue.

Sadly neither of these patterns was without errors/ambiguities, and an inexperienced knitter would do well to avoid them. I know my shawl isn't quite right, but then I'm only going to be using it at home for an extra cuddly layer on winter evenings so I can live with that. There's something well off about the sizing of that jumper though, unless children in The Faroes are a very odd shape.

And then a couple of small items for my friend's Asylum Seekers Christmas gifts



a cowl and a scarf.

I may have shot my bolt as far as the asylum seekers Christmas goes as I'm currently working through some baby wool for another charitable organisation, but we'll see.

* I've said this before but it bears repeating, the best and most powerful Bronte book is Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. For the alert reader far more shocking, wide ranging and real than anything Charlotte ever produced. Sadly though I couldn't find a pattern called Wildfell!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment