Monday 9 September 2013

#Ihateknittinglace*

In fact I don't know why I bother trying. A friend was mentioning some cashmere that she had knitted up recently and that reminded me that put away somewhere I had one precious skein of Mongolian Cashmere Laceweight yarn.

I thought, now that I was minded on, that  I'd do something with it so I poured over patterns in Ravelry for hours, wound the skein into a ball - by hand, lest my lovely winding machine break the stuff  - and yesterday I cast on and did the first 14 rows of the selected pattern.

Do not be impressed with this, as the first 10 rows were garter stitch. I did one repeat of the first section of the lace pattern. It's Orenburg lace apparently. Who knew? Who cared?

Tonight I did one and a half rows of the pattern and discovered I had gone wrong and was 6 stitches short. I took back one row and was 4 stitches short. I took back another row, and those of you have been paying attention will realise I am now one row down on yesterday and it still wasn't right, probably because I had lost some of the knitted together stitches as I took them out. So then I pulled out the whole thing and picked up a different and much simpler project to work on.
 
The thing is there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to knit lace. I can do cables, and fair isle and if pushed intarsia.  I'm not incompetent. Maybe it's just a question of concentration. Or practice. Maybe one of these months you will see a picture on here of the beautiful lace scarf I have managed to produce from my Mongolian cashmere.
 
But as Aragorn almost said, That month is not this month.
 
* And coming soon unless they get their fingers out and respond to my 5 day old complaint -  '#IhateInterflora'

No comments:

Post a Comment