Tuesday 2 April 2013

What I did in March

First up is the needle felting.

During Lent, in the Cathedral, the top of the Christmas tree was put at the front of the church and each week a cross was added, all different shapes and made of different materials. For the final Sunday of Lent the Minister asked people in the congregation  to make a cross of anything they liked  and bring it along to go on the tree, so I made a felt one. I decorated both sides

 






 
The idea was that one side had the flames which foreshadow Pentecost and the other side had a blossoming plant that represented the new life of the Resurrection. True to form I wasn't totally happy with either side, but tell myself I'm still a beginner at this needle felting stuff.
 
More successful was Bert
 

the  needle felted cactus. I'm quite fond of Bert.

Then there was the knitting. First up a new jumper


 

Sadly the wool is very soft and it's sort of flopped. It's also fallen victim to Large Size Syndrome by which designers test knit patterns in small sizes and then just multiply up for larger ones, with sometimes fairly drastic results. So I have very floppy cuffs and a determination never to use this wool again. On the upside, it's a beautiful colour and its very very cosy.

While we're dealing with the knitting here's the Literary themed KAL effort for March.


Yggdrasil mittens. I can't say I'm all that thrilled with them, probably because knitting them was more of a struggle than it should have been, but at least I got them done in the time.
In case anyone is wondering the Agatha Christie connections are a) the colour, which is sort of a lemon yellow, after Poirot's secretary Miss Lemon, and Yggdrasil itself which Henrietta Savernake used to doodle all over the place in The Hollow. The Hollow was always one of my favourite Christies so I was pleased I found something to connect to it.
The April writer is Lewis Carroll and I have the yarn and I know the pattern so all I need now is the time.  
 
Alert readers from elsewhere will note the lack of finished socks. I have about 15 rounds to go on my sisters birthday socks but couldn't quite finish them in March. They, or at last the not quite complete one, is lying in mute reproach on the coffee table, and I hope it will get picked up and finished during this evenings ER repeat.
 
And that's it for finished stuff, but because it will be a long time coming I couldn't resist putting up a WIP photo of the patchwork [one day to be a] quilt.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment