Wednesday 22 March 2023

Look What Postie Brought Yesterday!

 And no, it's not wool. 


It's an up to date guide to Paris.

I wrote in a letter to someone recently '...and then I'm spending a few days in Paris with a friend. This makes my life sound a lot more exciting and glamorous than it really is ...'

Which it does. Because I feel we haven't really done much over the last few years and I know that's down to Covid and I know we've been making up for lost time over the past few months, but you know, of course a few days in Paris is exciting but it isn't my norm. I suppose if it were the norm it would be less exciting for me but seem more exciting to others.

Anyway since I am gong it made sense to invest in an up to date guide book because it is literally decades since I was last there. A pre A-level intensive french course in 1974, and that was at Versailles, although we did have a few days when we went into the city, and before that a couple of visits with my parents when I was a much younger teenager. For our first visit my mother borrowed a book from a friend entitled Paris in Four Days and I have to admit that, by following it religiously,  we did get around most of the must-do places, even including a half day trip to Versailles. But we were exhausted by the end. Other enduring memories of that holiday include my aunt suggesting that we take home and frame the bill for the meal on the first evening because it was eye-wateringly expensive, and my father being conned/bullied/shamed into buying a little St Christopher medal on the steps of Sacre Coeur. To add insult to injury it wasn't long after Christopher had been 'unsainted' by the Pope. Obviously the seller saw a gullible Englishman approaching who she could off load an, even more worthless than before, piece of junk on to, and proceeded to do so. 

Anyway much of Paris has changed since then and I've changed even more. so  I'm really excited at  the prospect of going and experiencing Paris as a grown up. But first I must read the guide book and prioritise what I want to see. It will be four days again, and it won't be nearly enough! 

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, how exciting! 😁😁😁

    ReplyDelete