Wednesday 2 November 2022

Glasgow School of Yarn 2022

 


That there is a picture of the exclusive  tote bag for the 2022 GSoY. And yes it would make more sense to show a picture of the yarn that I bought, because obviously I bought yarn, but most of it was to make presents for other people who actually read the blog so that would be a bit counter productive. I'll post pictures of what I made with the stuff after Christmas. Meanwhile the tote has a nice Rennie Mackintosh inspired design. 

I'd booked a class in the morning with an Irish knitwear designer called Carole Feller of Stolen Stitches. This was on adapting garment patterns to fit properly and goodness knows I need to know. As did the others in the class. We all had the same problem - given that we have boobs, by the time we have knitted something big enough to cover them everything other part of the garment is  w-a-a-a-a-y too big. I have to say she was very good. Very approachable, very understanding and very knowledgeable. In theory I now know how to make things fit, whether or not I'll manage it in practice remains to be seen. I certainly hope so because it would be really nice to make sweaters again. I have bought one of her patterns and I shall buy the wool to make it with and see how we go. 

After the class I went off to the vending hall where  I had a chat with the usual suspects and a mooch around various other stands. I have to be honest and say that I didn't find it all as exciting and wonderful as I found it last year. That was a combination of it not being a new experience, not having the yay-covid-is-on-the-run-we-can-do-things-again boost, being a bit pushed for time between the class, meeting up with someone for coffee, and having to make sure I left in good time for logistical reasons to do with delivering our son somewhere and going out ourselves, and discovering that one of the vendors with whom I had planned to spend quite a lot of money had not in fact brought any of the goodies that had appealed to me on her website to Glasgow. This was not her fault, she can't bring everything, and actually it wasn't anybody's fault, it was just a bit frustrating. 

So like the curate's egg, excellent in parts. I'm glad I went and especially glad I took the class, but whether I will go again next year is moot; it will depend largely I think on how much yarn I manage to knit up  in the next twelve months. 

1 comment: