Friday 11 November 2022

Black Adam

Son No 2 is here just now and it wouldn't be a visit from him without a trip to the cinema. Normally it's just him and his Dad seeking out the latest  Star Wars instalment - I gave up on those a long time ago - but as it's  not Christmas there wasn't one out.  There was however something called Black Adam which is a superhero movie, not from the Marvel but from the DC, stable. 

As regular readers will know, I'm not averse to the occasional superhero movie, with the exception of Antman which I have been heroically resisting watching for what feels like forever but is probably only a couple of years. I'd never heard of Black Adam but that didn't really matter. 

Of course these things are generally crash-bang-wallop movies with a side serving of unquestioning American might-is-right, but I can take that in small doses. Well the crash bang wallop side of things anyway. In fact Black Adam is somewhat more nuanced in the political arena then most others ( I know, a very low bar, but they tried) and I applaud that. I also applaud the fact that one of the Good Guys Gang apparently came to an unequivocal end - that's something you don't often see in this type of film. 

We went to what is known here as a 'relaxed viewing' which basically means no adverts, no trailers, sound turned down a bit, lights left on a bit . I'd never been to one of these before but the boys had and recommended it, so that's the one we chose. We booked, just in case, but we needn't have bothered, as along with the three of us there was one other party of four teenagers and that was it. 

I did enjoy it, as much for the fact that we can go to the cinema without a second thought these days, which a couple of years ago I wouldn't have put money on., and acknowledging the fact that there are still people for whom that isn't yet true. 

2 comments:

  1. Umm - what's the problem with Antman?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well this might make you laugh, in the context in which we are discussing things, but I don't see the point of Antman. He can make himself really really small. As superpowers go it seems to me that a one is a bit meh.

      Delete