Thursday 1 September 2022

Yesterday was a pig of a day

We went to a funeral in Wick which was about a squillion times more upsetting than I was expecting. We couldn't stay for the drinks afterwards because we had to get back for the ferry, but as I was shivering (mainly with shock and grief) I suggested we drop in on a place we have driven past oodles of times to get a cup of hot takeaway coffee. 

It was a bit weird. There was one bloke of late middle age, in a drab chill room with a coffee machine, a table and chairs with a couple of newspapers and an array of coffee making equipment and coffee beans for sale. Also some books with titles like 'My walk with Jesus' and a poster on the wall proclaiming that God knows all your suffering. A Christian business then. 

For funeral related reasons the OH decided to by some African sourced (malawian) coffee beans. The man offered to write the name of the farm they were sourced from on the bag. Very nice. He also offered some comments on the difference between Christian dwellers in Malawi (rounded, cheerful, lovely people) and Moslem ones ( ungracious, not lovely people). Not very nice. 

I was speechless. Sadly. I wanted to challenge what he had said but because it was so unexpected I had no words ready. Possibly the expression on my face sad something though as he backtracked slightly and said 'well that's my take on it'. 

As a professing Christian myself , although not of the same (evangelical)  type as him, I was horrified. Apart from anything else, how dare he make these comments and assume that we, as perfect strangers to him, would agree with his very racist sentiments? Surely not everyone in Wick, churchgoer or not, feels that way. I sincerely hope not anyway. 

Just for the record, having lived for many years in West Yorkshire I met many Muslims. Generally speaking they were among the kindest, most gracious and generous people you could hope to meet. I daresay there are Muslims who would echo in reverse the sentiments expressed by that business owner. But I never met one. 

Also for the record we might have become regular customers if he had kept his mouth shut. In a way I'm glad he didn't. I don't want to support a business run by a racist. 

On a happier note when we got home I finished my latest jigsaw. 


The World of Charles Dickens which was a birthday present from my sister. It was quite challenging, but when done it did give an amazing sense of what a busy bustling city of huge contrasts London was in CD's day.

I am going away tomorrow (on the crack of dawn ferry from Stromness, which is gong to involve getting up at 4.45 which I am not so very thrilled about.) I'll be in Glasgow for just over a week, so no blog posts for a while now, but lots to blog about when I get back. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Anne, how horrible! It amazes me that people feel perfectly able to trot out these horrible opinions to anyone they meet. And on such an awful day for you, too xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to know where so that I definitely avoid it - I may well contact you privately on that!
    I hope your week away goes well xx

    ReplyDelete