Saturday 30 July 2022

Final Prague Post (5)

I enjoyed most of the Keynote talks and presentations at Prague, and I also enjoyed meeting up with people I hadn't seen for the most part since Vancouver 2017 and also meeting some very nice new people. The lowlight was two academics almost coming to physical blows during a coffee break, carrying on a major disagreement they had had during one of the morning sessions. Not very edifying. But I came away with lots of new ideas and of course a long reading list, only half of which I am likely to achieve. 

The numbers attending in person were lower than for previous Congresses, mainly due to some countries still having covid travel restrictions in place, but also because of covid uncertainties when people would have been booking. Hopefully they will be back up when the next Congress convenes in Nottingham in 2024. 

I've go a few random photos from the proceedings, I was too invested in them at the time to think to take pictures really an they won't mean anything to anyone but me really, but here they are 


Presentation to Conference Organiser, who did all the work and her boss who took all the credit. 



As far as Scot Lit circles go, there are some famous faces here



Conference Dinner - very nice restaurant on the river. 


I took this one, not for the tower, but for the building behind it, which is where Edwin and Willa Muir lived while they were working for the British Council in Prague. Edwin Muir irritates me, partly  because he was the sort of man who does irritate me, and partly because he took all the credit for most of his wife's work, but also because, however annoying I find him as a person, he wrote some damn good poetry.  


Post Conference Blues.

1 comment:

  1. So pleased for you that you managed to attend x

    ReplyDelete