Thursday 30 June 2022

Prague (1)

 It will take me several days to cover my trip to Prague, but here's a start. 

I flew out on Ryanair from Edinburgh with a friend. The flight was delayed, but I couldn't fault it otherwise and the friend had booked a car to collect us and I had booked the hotel. The car was there waiting which was good and he more or less found the hotel OK. Well he missed the turn twice , but hey! he got us there in the end. 

The hotel was in some ways a disappointment although this was not immediately obvious.  I have yet to book into another hotel which expected you to pay upon arrival. Before you arrive, yes. When you leave, yes. When you arrive and want to check in and have a shower - not so much. 

Anyway we checked in and got shown to our rooms. Mine was in the eaves which meant it had charm by the bucket load and life threatening low beams. As in 


The other end of the room looked like this


There was an en-suite as well but I didn't take a photo of that. 

Downstairs there was a nice seating area, with lovely hydrangeas in glass vases on the tables. 



Also on the tables were drinks menus and I offered to buy my friend and me a cocktail. Sadly there was no way a cocktail was to be had because the cocktail mixer wasn't in the building. Judging by some of the things that happened later I suspect that the cocktail mixer was a myth ad the menus had been bought as decor. Because there wasn't a bar in the hotel, so it's difficult to see where he could have plied his trade. We didn't know that at the time, we were just a bit disappointed that we were in need of a good stiff and cool drink and couldn't get one. 

We wandered out to search for somewhere to eat and found a nice place fairly close. (That's a pattern in Prague; as long as you have some money you will never starve). I didn't take a photo of the food that evening either but we did manage to order wine for my friend, and an elderberry lemonade for me. It was very welcome. 



No comments:

Post a Comment