Monday 20 September 2021

Devon Part 3

After the rigours of Clovelly, Monday was a much gentler day. We went to a small place called Chagford on the edge of Dartmoor where we had arranged to meet up with a couple of my friends from university for a walk and then a pub lunch. We were too busy chatting to take many photographs but we managed this one


It was lovely to catch up after quite a long time of not seeing them. Looking back over my time away I feel I am very fortunate to still have friends from so many different times and places  of my life. When I was first a student I could never be convinced that anyone really wanted to be my friend; I was always convinced that people had an ulterior motive in being nice to me but now, decades later,I am starting to think that maybe I am valued by some people for my own sake. Which is progress, even if it's been a long time a-coming. 

Tuesday was an OH choice day and although he sold it to me as an Otter and Butterfly Sanctuary I think it's not coincidental that there was a narrow gauge railway, the South Devon Steam Railway, just next door. We didn't actually ride on the stream trains but we saw several arrive and depart, and had a very bice lunch in their cafe. The otters were cute looking ( I know they can be vicious little beasts really) and the butterflies were beautiful and I tried to take good photos of them but it was difficult. especially as the camera lens kept getting steamed up! 








Train at the top, sadly no steam engine. Then otters and butterflies. It was a fun day, if a trifle hot. 

2 comments:

  1. To be honest, I still feel somewhat like that with friends now - “They’re just being nice, they can’t possibly like me.” I’m slowly beginning to believe that’s rubbish, but it’s a slow process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still don't believe anyone could ever like me - after all my mother spent years telling me no-one would!
    However, in more important news, I LOVE a good steam train :-D

    ReplyDelete