Saturday 11 September 2021

An Evening Out!

 Such excitement! Going out to an event! After so long when we couldn't go out at all, and then when we were restricted to  going out to wander about or have coffee somewhere but  just the two of us, this was a huge deal. 

On Thursday evening the library had an author visit from Ben Aaronovitch, author of The Rivers of London series. Now although I have many friends who rave about these books I don't really 'get' them. It's odd, because on paper I should love them; crime, a touch of the fantastical, really funny and with some wit. But somehow they just don't gel with me. 

On the other hand I wasn't going to miss the chance to go; partly because it made such a nice change and partly because I thought listening to the guy talk might actually give me a better handle on his books. 

He was an easy interviewee, it was a case of press the button then let him talk, and he was funny and expansive and had some interesting stories to tell. But, I cannot say I warmed to him as a human being, which is perhaps a little unfair because in the circumstances he would have been putting on a public persona and he might be quite different under other circumstances. And it didn't stop me enjoying the occasion. 

While I was listening to Mr Aaronovitch the OH was doing the weekly supermarket shop and when he collected me afterwards we took ourselves off to Harbour Fry, who serve the best fish and chips in Orkney. And then we were back home  in time to watch Celebrity Masterchef live rather than recorded. 

It was a lovely evening, which I  appreciated much more for tis novelty than I would have a similar occasion pre-Covid. And with covid numbers on the rise again I'm not unmindful of the fact that such occasions may become rare again. Definitely a case of Seize the Day. 

3 comments:

  1. I’m glad you still had fun. My sister is the same - she loves every element he uses, but can’t get away with the books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same thing with Terry Pratchett. I ‘should’ like him and have struggled through a few books but they just don’t grab me.

    ReplyDelete