Monday 13 September 2021

Books to Read Poster No 29

 


That's the picture and there is no prize whatsoever for guessing that it was A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. 

I've read a fair bit of Dickens in my time but not this one. I got it from Audible, read by Julian Rhind Tutt of whom I am a big fan. He was brilliant, but - 

I didn't enjoy the book. It's an early one of course, and really the major interest was seeing early manifestations of some of his writing tricks and habits.. Overall though the book was dull, which, given the subject matter was quite an achievement I thought. It was also horribly sentimental, although I did find the last few minutes of it quite moving, despite myself. 

I blush to confess that, despite Mr Rhind Tutt's beautiful voice and expert characterisations, I played a good third of this at 1.5 speed just to get through it more quickly. 

A bit of a miss then. 

1 comment:

  1. Yep, with you on that one.

    JR-T is an excellent reader, isn’t he!

    ReplyDelete