Tuesday 2 May 2017

Project 60 No 49 - Battenberg Cake

 
 
Nope, had really never made it before. Not sure why, because it's one of my favourites. Maybe I thought it would be a bit complicated, but whatever the reason I'd never tried.
.
Anyway I made it yesterday. I needed to be a it more precise than I generally am when baking, even down to measuring cake strips with a ruler - never thought I would see the day when I did that.
 
As so often these things are a learning curve and if/when I do it again; -
 
 I really will warm 3 tablespoons of apricot jam as the recipe says, rather than look at the pan with 2 in and think, that's more than enough surely. Because it wasn't.
 
I'll invest in a pastry brush because trying to put runny apricot jam on the sides of a cake with a pate knife isn't the easiest way to go about things.
 
And I'll try harder to get the marzipan join on a corner and not wrinkle it on the top and not have it sag  around the sides.

That said though, it was delish.

5 comments:

  1. We already have several pastry brushes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well that would be good if I could find them! Also that green plastic one is weird and I won't go near it. I think it came in the Lakeland Muffin set.

      Delete
  2. I was about to say don't bother with a silicon pastry brush, as they may have a purpose in life, but it does not seem to be one of being an actual pastry brush. I can also confirm, and not from making tennis court cake but from applying stuff to a cake, that it is pretty useless at spreading jam.
    So - to date with this silicon usurper I have failed to properly jam a cake for marzipan, I have failed spread milk on scones, I have failed to spread egg glaze on a pie, and I have failed to spread a milk glaze on a different pie. And no1 son failed to spread oil on something with it . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically then, they're pretty cr*p? I am impressed that you milk your scones, as I never bother, probably because I can't be bothered to go and look for the proper pastry brush.

      Delete
  3. I'd still rather eat it than cook it 😉

    ReplyDelete