Thursday 22 December 2016

Eeny Meeny

went back to the library today, and I remarked to the librarian that it possibly wasn't one to recommend to the squeamish'.  They do seem to get asked for recommendations here a lot and really I feel you need to have a strong stomach and no imagination to cope with this one. I thought Stuart McBride, who I gave up on as too gory many years ago, was as bad as it got, but things have moved on it seems.
 
I replaced it, because I am constitutionally incapable of entering the library and coming out empty handed, with Lousie Penny's The Beautiful Mystery and Yrsa Sigurdardottur's My Soul to Take. I've read quite a few of Penny's Inspector Gamache series. I'm not sure why exactly as I find Gamache an irritating character, but the plots are well done and they're generally very well written. Two things that you would think would be a given in a crime novel but sadly so often aren't. Sigudardottur I have only read one of previously but it was OK; an easy read and the insights into Icelandic life were interesting.
 
All this reading material, anyone would think I was battening down for an approaching  storm or something. Oh,  wait - !

1 comment:

  1. I've read a couple of Sirgurdarsdottir's books and enjoyed them, but no Louise Penny. She's frequently recommended on the Ravelry audiobook group, though, so she is at least on my radar.

    ReplyDelete