Sunday 24 May 2015

Habit Forming?

On a recent trip south I met up again one evening with my friend Lydia and we treated ourselves to this.


 
 
 
Pretty, isn't it? And no, it's not some strangely coloured oriental tea, although you could be forgiven for thinking so, since there's a great big tea pot in the picture. No, that, my friends is a cocktail, called The Orient Express. I forget what was in it, and if you had seen the list of ingredients, that truly would not surprise you. I remember Grapefruit Bitters. And the thing that looks like a fraying cigar is lemon grass. Beyond that, I have no memory.
 
Since it is less than a month since I ventured into the world of the cocktail I am rather worried that I have followed the first one up so quickly and am on the way to developing a cocktail habit. On the other hand, looked at another way, I have about 30 years of cocktail drinking to catch up on. So that's alright then.
 
It was a good evening. As we are both putting ourselves through the hell that is the self funded Ph D , and at the same branch of the same institution, we necessarily had a bitch about that. But we did cheerful life stuff as well.
 
I know I have been more than a little dismissive here at times about the Facile wisdom of Facebook and its ilk. But I do honestly sometimes think that Lydia has been sent into my life to counter my excessive cynicism with a dose of shining optimism and the belief that the world is a beautiful and exciting place. If that is so, quite what I have been sent into Lydia's life to do is a mystery to me. I hope it's not for anything horrid!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment