Tuesday 7 January 2014

'...a strange metallic thing...' - yer wot?

I am quite loth to knit presents for people. I do it occasionally, if I know it's something they want, or will appreciate, and I can persuade myself that it will be of a high enough standard.

This year though I let the OH persuade me to knit something for his mother as part of her Christmas present. It was a neck wrap, in a sparkly yarn that looked nothing like wool (hardly surprising since none of the component fibres had ever seen hide nor hair of a sheep) but I had done a couple already, one for a swap and one for myself and so I bought some in a colour that he said she would like, whipped it up and gave it to him. He wrapped it up, put it in an envelope with the other part of her present - a pair of ear-rings that OH had made - and we sent it off.
 
And everything was fine, until the Skype call on Christmas Day. I was on my way to join in this when I heard  my elder brother-in-law ask the OH 'er, one thing, Mum had this strange metallic thing in her parcel. We've no idea what it is and we wondered if was actually for her or even if it was supposed to be there'.
 
I was a bit put out - not so much that they didn't know what it was, although I'd have thought that 30 seconds concentrated thought might have given them some ideas, including the correct one, but the 'is it supposed to be there?' Was it in an envelope addressed to her? Was it wrapped up in Christmass-y paper?  I won't do the rhetorical about a tag because as I said above I did leave it to the OH and I'm not convinced that he put a tag on it, but even without a tag....
 
I know these things look like the proverbial wrung out rag when you see them on a  table and here is the proof
 
 
 
but they look fantastic on.

No comments:

Post a Comment