Thursday 23 May 2019

Baking Subscription May



Carrot and pecan squares. I daresay it/they look lovely. I do have to record a shocking instance of cheating in their creation though; I bought ready grated carrot. I hand-grated carrot the first time I made carrot cake and it took forever. The next time I put them in the food processor and the carrots were grated really quickly, but it took forever to clear out the machine. So when I saw Mr Tesco sold bags of ready grated carrot in the correct weight for the recipe I took it as a sign, and bought a packet. 

The buttercream on the top was supposed to be piped in rows of little dots but life is too short. It should also have pecan brittle sprinkled on the top, but I am too incompetent. I had two attempts at making the brittle, which I have never done before, and they were both abject failures. I must try again another time. 

Aside from the cheat and the failures with the decoration I have to say these were nice; surprisingly light for a carrot cake. But I think I prefer my carrot cake with sultanas rather than nuts. 

For the observant among you, no I have not yet made April's box. We were away quite a lot, plus it involves remembering to take raspberries out of the freezer the night before. So far, I'm managing a total fail on that one. 

2 comments:

  1. I’m glad I’m not the only one preferring sultanas. People look at me like I’m weird when I say that 😉😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake looks yummy. Anytime in baking there is an ingredient shortcut....definitely a thumbs up! Carrot cake here usually has raisins and nuts.

    ReplyDelete