Thursday 30 August 2018

I Bought a Bowl

For some time we had been promising ourselves a visit to the gallery and workshop of Michael Sinclair, woodturner, website here , and about a month ago we finally went. 

Now I know when you go to craft shows there are always several woodturners exhibiting and I have in the past been totally indifferent to their wares, because let's face it a wooden bowl is a wooden bowl and I once had a lovely  wooden fruit bowl that took too much looking after when I had small children and which as a result got spoiled. This taught me the, perhaps incorrect, lesson that wooden bowls were more bother than they were worth.

I don't remember quite how or when I started to become conscious of Michael's work, but I do know that I realised very early on that this was not just anther  retired bloke with a woodturning lathe in his shed keeping out from under his wife's feet. This man was an artist in wood. We had seen his work in shops around Orkney and then I started following his Facebook page and he was part of an exhibition we went to earlier in the summer where he was displaying some truly beautiful pieces. So I knew that if we went to the gallery chances were that we would buy something. 

And lo! it came to pass.

Actually to be strictly accurate I bought something because we couldn't agree on what to get, so I got my bowl and the OH is going to go back sometime and choose something for himself. And that way  we will both be happy.

In addition, in chatting to Mrs Sinclair, the OH let slip that is main interest is astro-photography which she seized upon as she is, although we had no idea of this at the time, on the committee of the Orkney Camera Club and the upshot is that he is going to go and give them a talk about it in December. 

And naturally, there is a picture of the bowl. 


No comments:

Post a Comment