Sunday 19 August 2018

Baking Subscription - July and August

So it was just late last week that I realised I hadn't ever put up a picture of the July baking club bake and yesterday the August box arrived and I made the cake straight away. So it's two for the price of one this time.

First up July. This was meant to be a raspberry Eton Mess cake with small meringues through the cream n the middle and on the top. Death by Sugar Rush in fact. However I made the sponge one day, intending to do the meringues and finishing off the next, and then someone came round for coffee unexpectedly so I just whipped up the cream and put the raspberries through it and never bothered with the meringues. I added the supplied dried raspberries to the top and garnished it with a bit of very finely grated dark chocolate. It still looked and tasted good without the meringues. 


This months was a lime and coconut loaf. I am sorry to report that it sank horribly in the middle and I was at a loss to account for this. However on checking the Facebook group, I find this was a common problem with this pack, and I can only assume that they have misjudged their baking powder quantities. It was disappointing, but to be fair their recipes have all been spot on before this. The sunken hollow was easily disguised by the mascarpone frosting and it certainly didn't have an adverse effect on the taste. It was gorgeous. I shall definitely make it again.




1 comment: