Saturday 2 January 2016

Adventures in Glasgow Part 1

So, it's more than time I wrote up what we did when we last went to Glasgow, as it's almost a month ago already and if I don't do it soon I shall have forgotten all about it. And half the purpose of this blog is to keep memories of good or interesting times.

The main event, and the reason for going, was so that I could take part in the celebration for the centenary of the birth of George Campbell Hay, subject of my Ph D. (Incidentally I am having huge problems with this just now as I grapple with the thought that I'm not actually going to be saying anything new. This objectively is rubbish, as there is very little work on him at all, so that almost anything I said would burst over the waiting world like a novelty firework, but logic often doesn't work at 5.00 a.m. I find)
 
Leaving that aside it was a lovely evening and I hope I fulfilled my own small part with some grace and joy. The OH, when summoned to pick me up, had to come up the stairs and drag me away, but he did get introduced to The Lovely Michel although I cant quite remember if he managed to encounter  friend-of-a-friend, The Terrifyingly Clever Geraldine'.
 
One of the highlights of the evening was the screening of some parts of a film that was made about Hay's life and work, many years ago by Paul Murton, mainstay of much of Scottish television. I knew of this but had never managed to see/acquire  it, so was delighted to have this opportunity to see excerpts.
 
However as is often the way of these things, when we got back to the flat we were flicking through the channels to see if there was anything to watch and discovered that the film was being shown in its entirety on BBC Alba. So we watched it, and through the wonders of modern technology even managed to instruct our TV in Orkney to record it via the OH's phone. Not only that but it is now available on YouTube (!) and here's the link in case anyone is interested.
 
 
It 'stars' a young Peter Mullan from before the days when he was the 'go-to' actor for middle aged Scottish menace. That is either an inducement or a warning, depending on your attitude to PM.
 
In other news I have not set foot out fo the house today, such is the general awfulness of the weather, but the OH heroically went to town to do a Tesco top up, since we were almost out of milk and the word on the street is that the barriers will be closed tomorrow. Also, and probably more to do with it, it gave him another chance to look for the whales - still absent sadly, although I have heard they came out to play yesterday afer we had given up and come home.
 

1 comment: