Monday 21 September 2015

A Postscript to my Last (as they used to say)

Just after I blogged about the Polish paper I got the draft program for the conference, which initially filled me with fear.

Not only was I on a panel with my supervisor, but it was the first panel after the keynote speaker on Day 1 and, as the four participants are scheduled to deliver in alphabetical order, I am first.

What a way to start a conference career. I was horrified.

However a little reflection helped me put things in a better light. If I am first, there is no-one to compare me with. People are fresh and chances are they will actually listen. I get my presentation over and done with and will have no time to fret about it beforehand. Probably on balance best to be  first on Day 1 than last on Day 3. It helps as well that also speaking in that session is a very nice Czech girl I met last year at the World Congress, who is working on the poetry of another C20 Gaelic poet, Derrick Thomson.
 
Also, if my supervisor is on the panel he will not be visible to me in the audience as I speak which I would otherwise have found off putting, and equally he won't be able to ask me questions, awkward or otherwise. So all in all I am reconciled.

1 comment:

  1. After my initial reaction of horror, I read on, and agree with everything you wrote! Knock 'em dead :)

    ReplyDelete