Friday 24 July 2015

New Roof

I came back to find that we had a new roof. Obviously this was not quite the surprise that that sentence might lead you to believe, since even in Orkney we don't have bands of roving tradesmen who pass a house, think 'that could do with a new roof, or door, or whatever' and proceed to provide you with one out of the goodness of their hearts.

No, I knew the roof was coming and in fact had had progress reports from Son No 2 who was here when they started the job while the OH and I were in Cardiff, and then more from the OH himself once he was  back in Orkney and I was doing my long lonely peregrination round various bits of northern England and southern Scotland.
 
But knowing you have a new roof and actually seeing it are two different things. My first thought was 'That will take a bit of getting used to' and my second thought was 'We need to repaint the walls'. Since exterior paint needs a guaranteed minimum temperature and 48 dry hours after it has been applied I tend to think our opportunity actually to do this will coincide with the silhouette of a flying pig crossing an unmistakeably blue moon, but we'll see.
 
Meanwhile the roof has been tested by several hard downpours since it was finished and does not leak. Moreover, by being away I avoided all the nose and mess associated with its construction so that appears to be a win-win. For once.

4 comments:

  1. My husband and I became aware that we could no longer put off getting a new roof after some rain got in. We had gotten a reasonable estimate from Eastern Roofing and called them for the job. They came and completed the job much faster than we thought possible with little disruption. The roofers were friendly and efficient. Great job.

    Catherine Burns @ Easton Roofing LLC

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are in the same situation but I like that you went away and then came back to a brand new roof on your home. My husband is the type who wants to watch every single thing and hee-haw around bothering the works. Me, I'd rather take a few days at the beach with my toes in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like many things in life housing repairs never seem to end, and just when you have had one things done it reminds you that something else needs to be done. These days its not easy finding a good tradesman either, you hear such horror stories about people that wanted a simple job.

    Ferdinand @ CCR and D

    ReplyDelete