Tuesday 13 May 2014

I Must Have Died and Gone to Heaven

because terrestrial TV could never be this promising...

Next week not one, not two, but three of my favourite actors come to the small screen; Philip Glenister (who I've loved since he was a brilliant  Dobbin in Vanity Fair) , Steven Mackintosh ( who I've loved blah blah blah John  Harmon/Rokesmith in Our Mutual Friend) and Iain Glen (ditto Mr Preston, Wives and Daughters)
 
However, tempting though it is to let joy be unconfined etc etc I am actually keeping my joy very strictly confined indeed until I see what the dramas they are in are actually like. Because I've been misled before - it's amazing how often  even good actors turn up in some real rubbish. Notorious examples include Richard Armitage in that awful Robin Hood  and of course Mr Glen in the truly appalling Breathless.
 
However it must be said that the timing is brilliant because the Mackintosh/Glenister duo are appearing on Thursday evening. Thursday afternoon will be seeing me in full 'Rabbit in Headlights' mode, because I have my Ph D Probationary Meeting then. Basically this means full supervisory team grilling me about a piece of written work I have submitted to them; in advance so they all have a chance to think up some horrible questions and some really snarky comments. If they don't like what I've written/what I say then they can recommend cancelling my Ph D registration.
 
Now I don't really think that they will. In fact, now that I am almost convinced that my subject supervisor doesn't think I'm as thick as a brick I'm a lot happier. But I don't like being a performing seal, which is what this session will basically be - Here Anne, here's a big brightly coloured ball of a sneaky question, how long can you balance this one on your nose? and I don't like what stress like this does to my body. By the time I get home I will be exhausted and feeling very frail, so the prospect of being able to curl up on the sofa in the evening and watch Part 1 of whatever it's called is quite appealing.
 
Oh and I forgot to add that Krister Henrikkson is back as the most compelling and credible Wallander on BBC4 on Saturday too. Next week - TV heaven.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment