Sunday 4 May 2014

A Few Images of Spring


 
I once waxed lyrical (literally, as I had been obliged to write a poem) about Orkney's spring daffodils and the tutor told me to be a bit more original in my choice of spring flower. I tried to explain the significance of the daffodils that populate the verges here but he talked over me, which he did quite often, said dismissively that he had lived in Glasgow for n years and could see daffodils in spring on any roundabout he drove round. 'Shut up Anne, I am not interested' was the basis of his song and although I was annoyed at the time I'm past it now and can write it off as his loss. He then had the nerve to describe me at the end of the module  as 'a challenge to teach', which I think is teacher code for 'suffers from independent thought'. Anyway for those who might be interested, miles and miles of roadside verge in Orkney are lined with daffodils every spring, and the story is that they all stem from a gift of free daffodil bulbs dished out  a few decades ago by a generous hearted person who thought that they would cheer the place up. The ones in this picture line our drive and they do make a heart lifting sight in early spring.

 
The pheasant who took up residence a few years ago is still about and there have been several chicks raised in the WWCTG (wilderness we call the garden) since then, despite the depredations of the cats.  This year he has been amusing himself spying on us through the kitchen window. It can give you quite a turn if you walk into the kitchen and see him looming outside, especially if he's tapping on the glass with his beak. Which he does do.

 
Mango and Honeycomb fool, made on request for Son No 2 when he was home for the holidays. I used to make this a lot when he lived at home, although the fruit is a new and (relatively) healthy addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment