Sunday 30 December 2012

The Sunday List

There's a double entry this week ( sorry, accountant's joke ) as this is the last Sunday of 2012 and Sundays in 2013 will have a different feature. So here you go
 
Five Very Over Rated C19 Novels

1 Villette
2 Wuthering Heights
3 The Warden
4 Jude the Obscure
5 Oliver Twist
 
and contrary-wise
 
Five Very Under Rated C19 Novels
 
1 North and South
2 Wives and Daughters
3 The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
4 The Mill on the Floss
5 Emma
 
Feel free to agree/disagree/discuss!

4 comments:

  1. I have a question. What's a C19 novel?

    Kristoemily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, C19 is shorthand for nineteenth century. One of those things that, because I know it myself, I assume everyone else must know, but then that ain't always the case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I hate Emma and love Jude and Wuthering Heights. Really can't stand Villette or understand why it has such a good reputation... and Oliver Twist has to be the least interesting of the Dickenses. Give me A Tale of Two Cities any day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My problem with Jude lies with the ineptly written Sue really. Hardy could be very good at women: look at The Woodlanders, or even Bathsheba Everdene. And of course Tess. But Sue is a totally contradictory mess. OT just goes round in circles, don't think CD had quite got his plotting together at that stage. I'm sorry you don't like Emma though; tight plotting, great characters, some very funny bits and a hero to die for. I know Knightley isn't everyone's cup of tea but I find him a very attractive character. Felt all my birthdays had come at once when ITV dramatised it, and cast Mark Strong!

    ReplyDelete