Monday 21 February 2022

Made It!

 


(Image: Scottish Opera) 

Yup, the ferry ran, we drove to Wick without incident, got a quick check in at the hotel and had time to walk through a very cold and slippy evening to the Opera Highlights Performance. I am pleased to say it was very enjoyable with some excellent singing and acting and all in all I'm glad we took the risk. Even though it meant going without any tea. 

This  is the second Highlights performance in a row to feature music from Korngold's Die Tote Stadt and I was reminded when listening toit that last time I thought it was beautiful and I really must get hold of a recording. I remember looking up info about Korngold but didn't get a CD, so I wonder if there isn't one available. I must remember to  have another  look, 

Breakfast at the hotel was lovely, not that I had much as I don't eat a lot in the mornings, but the OH had the full Scottish breakfast and pronounced it excellent. I have now had breakfast, dinner and afternoon tea on three separate occasions at Mackays Hotel in Wick and would recommend it unreservedy to anyone. The staff are friendly and efficient, the apartment we had was warm and comfortable, in fact I had the best night's sleep I've had in literally years and I rather regret that I don't have any need to go and stay there more often. 

And now here we are at home for a couple of days before, we hope, setting off for Glasgow on Wednesday. Fingers crossed for the ferry not being cancelled on Wednesday then. And for the A9 not being under four feet of snow. 

1 comment:

  1. So glad it was good - you’ve missed out on so much since Covid!

    ReplyDelete