Tuesday 16 October 2018

Baking Subscription September - Chocolate Caramel Tart


I was going to write a bit of a rant-y post today because I have been wrestling with Stupid Systems and Irritating People a lot recently, but that's not a good way to start the day so I opted for writing up the latest baking subscription box instead.  

I saved it to make while my sister was here, partly so that she could try it but mainly really because it looked like it was going to be a ginormous faff to make and it meant that she could read out the instructions while I followed them. That turned out to be a good move, because in concocting this I used three Pyrex bowls and a china one, as well as two pans and a food processor. 

It was hunungously disappointing, although to be fair it would have had to have tasted like the nectar of the gods of Olympus to make it worth the myriad of processes and time and effort taken to make it. There was a pastry case, two caramel layers, a chocolate flavoured layer (meant to be mousse like but wasn't really) some walnuts and some biscuit crumb. 

The pastry case turned out really well, which isn't always the case with my pastry, although doing it in a food processor means that it generally turns out alright. This was then scattered with a few chopped walnuts, not nearly enough to make their presence at all worthwhile. On top of that was a caramel layer, which made the pastry soggy followed by the chocolate mousse but which had very little chocolate flavour, followed by the rest of the caramel and then scattered biscuit crumb. The biscuit crumb also went soggy due to its proximity to the caramel. 

It tasted nice, but texture wise it was an epic fail. This was a badly designed recipe and I won't be making it again. 

And maybe tomorrow I will rant. 

1 comment:

  1. What a disappointment! Two of my favourite flavours, too...

    ReplyDelete