Sunday 18 August 2013

The County Show

The second week in August sees all our local shows, culminating in the Big Event that is the County Show. We try to go every year and we always enjoy ourselves, although somehow we always come away saying  'I didn't think it was as good as last year'.
 
The weather is almost always good and this year was no exception. And you always see loads and loads of people that you know.
 
So here are some pictures from this year's event - we always take loads of photographs and then never know quite what to do with them.
 
There were sheep
 

and more sheep


and for Archers fans I thought this was a bit of a Josh and Ben moment.



A friend of ours won the goat section


that's her on the right

The cows mainly had their backs turned, but this little prize winner caught my eye


Normally we're not there at the right time to go into the poultry tent (which so isn't a problem for me given the way I feel about chickens) but this year we hit it right and I couldn't resist taking a picture of a pretty speckled hen


As always there were horses



and excitingly for the first time some alpacas


We had a pancake each from the Cathedral stall, and some Orkney ice cream, and some  Free Trade coffee and biscuits - it's not the healthiest occasion on our calendar! and we didn't take pictures of one another eating. I had a go at the Nail in the Bale at the Rotary stall, since they were raising money for Shelterbox, one of my favourite charities. At the Scottish Natural Heritage stand they were giving away free boot bags and free postcards
 
 

and we got to vote for our Top Five Orkney Wildlife. In the excitement I completely forgot about the Orkney Vole, which is odd, considering how many dead ones the cats bring in, but I still got to five no problem. And the OH forgot puffins, which is much less understandable or forgivable.

I won a pen in the RSPB raffle and splashed out a whole pound on a badge from the Referendum Stand



We still came away saying it wasn't as good as the last time we went, but actually, we had a good time!

 
 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment